CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Issue 1 - Fireworks by Robert Harrison


Fireworks

I send them up in the air, and strapped to them are tiny pieces of paper, each one with a small word scribbled on in my appalling writing, underlined, twice each, and tied on neatly with a cotton thread. When they explode, the paper does too, and it catches fire, and the paper falls down and then it's just ash, and the words are gone. This year I have six pieces of paper, and I wrote on them, in this order: Bills (that's there every year), pigeon, holiday (I missed my holiday this year), hospital, cancer and Anna. And I'm going to tie them on with black thread so that it doesn't show up, and then I'm going to set them off. I have two Roman candles and four rockets this year. I would have got a Catherine Wheel but I couldn't find any. Two of the rockets are screamers and two of them are bangers. This year though is going to be different. I'm already in my shed, and I've locked the door and thrown the key out of the window. Now I can't change my mind. I'm going to set off the fireworks soon but I have to wait until it's dark, and then we shall see bright lights tonight.
-----
Photograph taken by Evets Lembek.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. There is such a lot of feeling put across in such a short piece. Incredible

Anonymous said...

Simple - but effective!well done!

Anonymous said...

wow very interestnig! good work. looking forward to reading more of your work